Conduct of a RPEQ

The Professional Engineers Act 2002 (Qld) requires that complaints about the conduct of registered professional engineers be made to BPEQ by persons aggrieved by that conduct must be made by way of this form.


Before making a complaint, you must understand what BPEQ can and cannot do.

Resolving your complaint direct

  • Have you tried to resolve the matter with the RPEQ or a more senior person at the RPEQ’s firm?
  • You should consider doing so before you lodge this complaint.
  • BPEQ may decline to investigate your complaint if you have not tried to resolve the matter with the RPEQ or a more senior person at their firm.

No rectification, remediation or compensation powers

  • BPEQ’s roles with respect to complaints about RPEQ’s conduct in carrying out professional engineering services is a disciplinary role. This means that BPEQ can only impose or seek (by way of civil proceedings) disciplinary sanctions and only where the RPEQ is found (after an investigation) to have engaged in unsatisfactory professional conduct or professional misconduct.
  • BPEQ has no power to resolve contractual disputes or other similar grievance.
  • BPEQ cannot require the RPEQ who is the subject of your complaint to do anything.
  • It is important to understand that neither BPEQ nor the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal can order the RPEQ to undertake rectification, remediation, pay compensation or other legal remedy against the RPEQ. We recommend that you obtain independent legal advice regarding these matters.

Legal advice, safety or other risks

  • BPEQ cannot provide legal advice or influence a matter before a court or tribunal.
  • BPEQ’s decision whether to investigate your complaint is ordinarily made ‘on the papers’, that is, after considering your written complaint and any written response to your complaint provided by the RPEQ who is the subject of the complaint. This means that BPEQ will not, ordinarily, when assessing a complaint, visit the subject site and/or assess the safety of the engineering services the subject of the complaint.
  • Complainants should seek their own professional advice from a RPEQ registered in the appropriate area of engineering if they believe the engineering service that is the subject of their complaint poses a safety risk.

No relationship with other legal processes

  • The complaint, investigations and disciplinary process undertaken by BPEQ are independent of and have no relationship with other complaint or dispute resolution process (including civil litigation) in which the parties to the complaint or other persons are involved.
  • BPEQ cannot assist you in any dispute resolution process unless required to do so by law.

Time limits on lodging a complaint

  • BPEQ may decline to investigate your complaint if the conduct occurred more than five years ago.
  • In deciding whether to investigate a complaint that is more than five years old, BPEQ will consider:
    • when the conduct/problem first came to your knowledge;
    • your explanation for your delay in making this complaint;
    • whether, and the extent to which, the parties might be prejudiced by the effluxion of time;
    • the utility in investigating the conduct with reference to the objects of the PE Act.

You must be aggrieved by the RPEQ’s conduct to make this complaint

  • To be aggrieved by the RPEQ’s conduct means that you have interests that have been adversely affected by the conduct
  • The following is an example of a situation where you would be aggrieved:
    • You or your builder engaged an engineer to undertake structural designs for an extension to your house. The supporting beams the engineer specified in the design for the extension were insufficient and the builder/you had to engage another engineer to undertake a design to rectify those beams.
  • The following is an example of a situation where you would not be aggrieved:
    • You are dissatisfied with an engineer’s design for a seawall that has been built (or is yet to be built). You do not live next to the seawall. There are no other reasons why the seawall will affect you/your interests personally.
  • Please note while you cannot lodge a ‘complaint’ if you are not personally aggrieved by the conduct of a RPEQ, you can still notify BPEQ of any concerns you have by lodging a Notice of Non-Compliance/Offence.

Making a complaint

If after considering all the previous information and the Complaints against RPEQs and Investigation Decisions policy you wish to proceed to make a complaint about a RPEQ:

  • Provide clear and detailed information about your complaint; and
  • Attach copies of all relevant/supporting documents.
  • You must complete separate complaint forms for each RPEQ you wish to complain about.
  • You must complete the declaration at Section C for BPEQ to be able to deal with your complaint.
  • If you make a complaint, please be aware that BPEQ will ordinarily send your complaint form and supporting information/documents to the RPEQ the subject of the complaint and invite them to respond to it. Your personal information (address, telephone and email) will be removed from the copy of the complaint sent to the RPEQ if it is not already known to the RPEQ.

I have read and understand the above and the Complaints against Registered Professional Engineers and Investigation Decisions policy and want to lodge a complaint.

Have you tried to resolve the matter with the RPEQ?

BPEQ recommends that before lodging a complaint, you should attempt to resolve the complaint with the RPEQ or a more senior person at the RPEQ’s firm.

Section A — Complaint information

Your details

Be selecting no, you are not authorised to submit this complaint.
You must have authorisation to make a complaint on behalf of another person. You must seek written authorisation before lodging this complain.

Details of RPEQ you are complaining about

Details of your complaint?

Your Complaint

How are you aggrieved?

cause you personal injury?cause damage to your property?cause you economic loss?interfere with your legal rights?cause reputational damage/distress/embarrassment?

Full details of your complaint

Attach copies of all relevant documents to support your complaint including:


If there are witnesses who can provide independent evidence that will help BPEQ deal with your complaint, please provide their names and full contact details and explain why you think they could help.

Section B – Other Information

Privacy statement

The personal information you provide on this form will be used by BPEQ to administer the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (Qld), which includes assessing complaints about RPEQs, investigating the conduct of RPEQs, and disciplining RPEQs.

In the process of assessing and investigating a complaint, BPEQ will usually disclose your personal information to the RPEQ you are complaining about, their legal representative, and any expert engaged to help with the investigation.

If BPEQ decides to take disciplinary action as a result of the complaint, BPEQ will usually disclose your personal information to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal. Disciplinary hearings in Tribunal are open to the public.

BPEQ may also provide your personal information to the Minister for Housing and Public Works or the Department of Housing and Public Works to inform the Minister about an investigation being conducted by BPEQ.

BPEQ will not use or disclose your personal information for any other purpose not connected with the administration of the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (Qld) without your consent, unless the use or disclosure is authorised or required by law.

Please visit our Privacy Policy for more privacy information and information about how to access or amend documents.

I have read and understand the privacy statement

Section C – Declaration

All complainants must complete this declaration.

Read through this form to check that nothing has been overlooked and all necessary documents are attached, then sign the declaration below.

Declaration by the complainant

I have read through this form and confirm that all of the information attached to it and contained in it is true, correct, and not misleading to the best of my knowledge and belief, and that no relevant information has been omitted.

I declare that this information is true and correct.

I understand that it is an offence to provide false or misleading information to BPEQ in realtion to any investigations under sections 65 and 66 of the Professional Engineers Act 2002 (Qld).

I have read and agreed to the Declaration.