Frequently Asked Questions

What is the definition of a professional engineering service?

A professional engineering service is defined as a service that requires, or is based on, the application of engineering principles and data to a design, or to a construction, production, operation or maintenance activity, relating to engineering.

Am I required to be a RPEQ if I am based outside of Queensland, but providing a professional engineering service for Queensland?

Yes. If you are an engineer based interstate of overseas carrying out a professional engineering service for a Queensland based project, you are required to be a RPEQ, or be directly supervised by a RPEQ. Regardless of whether any of the work is physically undertaken in Queensland, the PE Act applies on an extraterritorial basis

Can I be registered in more than one area of engineering?

Yes. You can be registered in as many areas of engineering as you like. For each area, you will need to undertake assessment of your qualifications and competencies through the appropriate assessment scheme. Your total CPD obligations remain at 150 hours per three-year period regardless of the number of areas you are registered in, but you must ensure that you include a balance of CPD to maintain your competency in all areas in which you are registered

What are the fees?

BPEQ charges an annual registration fee. An assessment fee will also be charged by the approved organisation during your initial application for registration.

I’m not yet eligible to become a RPEQ, what do I do?

Carry out all professional engineering services under the direct supervision of a RPEQ who is responsible for the services. The PE Act states that a person can carry out professional engineering services in Queensland or for Queensland whilst unregistered if they are carrying out the services under the direct supervision of an RPEQ who is responsible for the services. So, when you start working you can undertake professional engineering services, but you need to ask the question at your work: “Who is the RPEQ who will provide me with direct supervision until I am eligible to become a RPEQ?”

I have been accredited by a professional organisation/membership body, is this the same thing as RPEQ status?

No. Professional accreditation is optional. Registration as a RPEQ is a legal requirement to carry out professional engineering services in or for Queensland.

Can I use my accreditation from a professional organisation/membership body to become registered?

If the qualification and competency requirements for professional accreditation from an organisation that administers an approved assessment scheme are equivalent to or exceed the qualification and competency requirements for RPEQ registration, then it can be used to prove eligibility for registration.

It is important to be aware that engineers do not have to be a member of an organisation or obtain professional accreditation to become a RPEQ. Engineers are entitled to request only a RPEQ assessment from an organisation that administers an approved assessment scheme for their area of engineering.

Holders of the Civil Aviation and Safety Authority’s (CASA) Instrument of Authority can use this accreditation to prove eligibility for registration in aeronautical engineering.

Are engineering technologists and associates able to be registered?

No. Engineering technologists and associates do not have the same standard of qualification and competency as a professional engineer, and are therefore ineligible for registration as a RPEQ. If you believe your qualification and competency is appropriate and equivalent to that of a RPEQ you should contact your preferred assessment scheme to be assessed.

Do any other Australian States/Territories have registration requirements?

Queensland is the only jurisdiction with a comprehensive registration system. The Victorian Parliament is reviewing legislation to create a system of registration for engineers. Other states and territories require registration for engineers working in particular industries (e.g. residential building).

Can't find the answer to your question? Get in touch with BPEQ.