Assessment Schemes

To be eligible for registration, engineers are required to hold a relevant engineering degree (or equivalent) from a recognised tertiary institute and have worked professionally for between 3-5 year to develop competency in their chosen area of engineering. To become registered, engineers must have their qualification/s and competency assessed through an approved assessment scheme.

The following organisations are approved to manage assessment schemes on behalf of BPEQ

The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM) offer assessment in the areas of Environment, Geotechnical (mining), Metallurgical and Mining engineering.

Engineers Australia offer assessment in the areas of Aerospace, Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Information, Telecommunications and Electronics, Mechanical and Structural engineering, as well as specific areas of engineering including Building Services, Fire Safety, Oil and Gas Pipeline, Heritage and Conservation, In-service Inspection of Amusement Rides and Devices, Leadership and Management, Naval Architecture, Petroleum, Pressure Equipment Design Verification and Subdivisional Geotechnics engineering.

The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) offer assessment in the area of Chemical engineering.

The Institution of Fire Engineers Australia (IFE) offer assessment in the area of Fire engineering.

The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
offer assessment in the area of Structural engineering.

The Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia - Queensland Division (IPWEAQ)
offer assessment in the area of Civil Engineering (Public Works).

Professionals Australia offer assessment in the areas of Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Geotechnical, Information, Technology and Telecommunications, Management, Mechanical and Structural Engineering.

The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) offer assessment in the area of Naval Architecture.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority's (CASA)  Instrument of Authority can also be used as proof of qualification and competency for registration in the area of Aeronautical engineering.

Organisations set their own criteria to determine an engineer's suitability for registration and the costs of assessment and minimum periods of work experience will vary between the different organisations. Once an engineer completes the assessment process they can apply to BPEQ for registration by submitting a registration application, a letter of assessment from the assessing organisation and completing a fitness to practice declaration. If BPEQ considers an engineer to be fit to practice, they will be registered as a RPEQ. Please note: a Migration Skills Assessment does not meet the assessment criteria for RPEQ registration.