Assessment Schemes

To be eligible for registration, engineers are required to hold a relevant engineering degree (or equivalent) from a recognised tertiary institute and have worked professionally for between 3-5 year to develop competency in their chosen area of engineering. After becoming eligible for registration engineers can apply to have their qualification and competency assessed through one of the approved assessment schemes. Organisations set their own criteria to determine an engineer's suitability for registration and the costs of assessment and minimum periods of work experience will vary between the different organisations. Once an engineer has satisfied the assessment process  for RPEQ registration they can apply to BPEQ to be registered by submitting a registration application, a letter of recommendation for RPEQ registration from the assessor and completing a fitness to practice declaration. If BPEQ considers an engineer to be fit to practise, they will be registered as a RPEQ. Please note: a Skills Migration Assessment does not meet the assessment criteria for RPEQ registration.  

The following organisations are approved to manage assessment schemes on behalf of BPEQ

The Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (AusIMM) offer assessment in the areas of Environment, Geotechnical (mining), Metallurgical and Mining engineering.

Engineers Australia offer assessment in the areas of Aerospace, Biomedical, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Information, Telecommunications and Electronics, Mechanical and Structural engineering, as well as specific areas of engineering including Building Services, Fire Safety, Oil and Gas Pipeline, Heritage and Conservation, In-service Inspection of Amusement Rides and Devices, Leadership and Management, Naval Architecture, Petroleum, Pressure Equipment Design Verification and Subdivisional Geotechnics engineering.

The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE) offer assessment in the area of Chemical engineering.

The Institution of Fire Engineers Australia (IFE) offer assessment in the area of Fire engineering.

The Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
offer assessment in the area of Structural engineering.

The Institute of Public Works Engineering Australasia - Queensland Division (IPWEAQ)
offer assessment in the area of Civil Engineering (Public Works).

Professionals Australia offer assessment in the areas of Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Environmental, Geotechnical, Information, Technology and Telecommunications, Management, Mechanical and Structural Engineering.

The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA) offer assessment in the area of Naval Architecture.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority's (CASA)  Instrument of Authority can also be used as proof of qualification and competency for registration in the area of Aeronautical engineering.